We need you
Please join us now by donating to www.tolycare.org
1) Financial contribution
2) Donate construction material
3) Volunteer your expertise
4) Refer Toly Care, INC to someone or organizations that can support the project
Some Facts about Haiti:
- More than 50% of children in Haiti are unable to afford the cost of primary/elementary education, thus are not attending school.
- Less than 30% of the children enrolled complete the sixth grade.
- Haiti has the lowest rates of enrollment, completion and literacy of any nation in the Western Hemisphere.
- Haiti is falling behind other low-income nations since the 1980's with 80% of its population living under the poverty line, and 54% in abject poverty.
- 80% of enrollments are in private schools which account for close to 90% of the nation's elementary and secondary schools.
Though the Haitian Constitution explicitly states: " education shall be free. Primary education shall be compulsory. State education shall be free at every level," the reality of the Haitian education system falls way short of the goals and ideals that the 1805 Constitution had unequivocally stated
According to UNESCO and the World Bank, Haiti's battered public school system can accommodate less than 10% of school-aged children.
Currently 90% of the schools are privately run in a country with enormous economic inequities, limited resources, misguided priorities, and lack of fiscal accountability.
Who are we helping?
We are helping the most prominent victims of the institutionalized corruption in Haiti education system and socioeconomic politic of the last few decades
What do we do?
1. Toly care strongly believes in the impact of education on an individual, a community and a nation. This is the premise behind our effort to ensure basic and functional education for those who can't afford it.
2. Our census of sponsored children has grown from 80 in 2003 to 200 since 2008 to current.
3. Toly care is currently building a school to accommodate more students and hire more teachers. Fund is urgently needed for its completion.
4. Toly care operates 8 adult opportunity school centers where adults have learned to read and write for the first time. Operation was temporary closed on June first, 2011 due to funding issue
5. Toly care will train the most qualified teachers to deliver the most effective and efficient education system